There are different options you can consider for you Basset Hound dogs if you will be going on a vacation which they cannot attend. If you are unable to leave your dog with someone you trust in your family or a friend, and you don’t like the idea of placing him/her in a kennel, you may want to think about hiring a pet sitter.
Believe it or not, but a reputable pet sitter may actually be the best option you can provide your dog. The reason is because your pet will be happiest and less stressed staying in his/her own home environment. Furthermore, an experienced pet sitter may be better at taking care of your dog than your relatives who may not be familiar with your dog or his/her specific breed.
In addition, a decent pet sitter can provide your Basset Hound dogs more than food. They also provide your dogs with company and services such as playing and walking with your dog, and giving them any medications they may be on. A sitter may also provide you with additional services including bringing in the newspaper, mail, watering plants, running errands, taking out the garbage as well as adjusting lights and shades to make your home appeared lived in while you are away.
Of course, you shouldn’t assume that every pet sitter will be willing to go the extra mile and care for your house without prearrangements. After all, your main concern should be to find someone who enjoys dogs and will be good to your pet while you’re gone.
The following is what you need to keep in mind when looking for a pet sitter for Basset Hound dogs –
- Make sure the sitter, or the company providing the sitter, has commercial liability insurance so that any negligence or accidents that may occur are covered. Also, make sure they are bonded to guard against potential theft.
- Find out the sitter’s experience
- Carefully analyze the sitter during your interview with him/her to see what questions they ask you about your dog so you can gauge how interested they are in caring for your pet (I.E. a sitter should ask – do they have any health conditions? Fears? Favorite toys? Favorite treats? What is their routine? Etc.)
- Is there a backup sitter on call if they can’t make it
- Does the sitter offer any other services aside from caring for your Basset Hound dogs?
- Obtain references from the sitter who you can and should contact.
- Make sure the sitter provides a contract.
Once you have thoroughly investigated the sitter and you have found 1 or 2 that you like, arrange a time to invite them over so you can witness how they interact with your dog. It is important that your dog and the sitter get a long well. Allow the sitter to play with the dog, and take him/her out for a walk.
Once you have selected a pet sitter there are a few things you need to ensure before you leave on your vacation:
- Give your sitter advanced warning of when you will be leaving. This is especially important if you are taking a trip during the holidays.
- Make sure the sitter knows the daily routine your Basset Hound dogs are used to
- Make sure you dog’s shots are all up to date and he/she’s healthy
- Make sure you dog wears a collar with proper identification tags
- Make sure there is enough food and treats for your dog while you are away
- Provide your sitter with clear and concise directions on how and when to administer medications if applicable
- Leave the sitter with your vet’s number, as well as your’s or a family member’s contact information, incase you need to be reached in an emergency
- Make sure your sitter knows how to use alarm systems, and let them know what they are welcome to and not welcome to use in your home
- Ensure that no chemicals, wires, or any other item that may be hazardous to your dog is left lying around
- Make sure you inform your neighbors that you have a pet sitter watching your dog
- Leave a radio on for your pet so it isn’t quiet
How to find a pet sitter – The best way to find a sitter is to look in your local yellow pages or do an online search by using your city name and “pet sitter” as the keywords. In addition, don’t forget to ask your Vet, friends with pets, and the local human society for any pet sitter recommendations for your Basset Hound dogs.